Where do old movie cars go?




Did you know that Cheetah the Chimp from the original Tarzan movies is1989 Michael Keaton Batman Batmobile still alive and well, at 76, living in a mini paradise ranch in Palm Springs with his primate son? He's the world's oldest-ever chimp. Crappy comparison, but where do you think the Batmobile from the 1989 movie is? Don't know? Me neither. And, today, Jalopnik reports that the Ecto-1, the super awesome ambulance from Ghostbusters is for sale - AGAIN. I almost think I blogged about it two years ago when it was for sale to the current guy. At a meesly $27K, less than the price of a super-lame BMW 3 series, this piece of Automotive history could be yours.

But let's face it, what the hell would you do with it? Outside of Halloween, or maybe a really cool prom, you wouldn't commute to work in a massive, 6 litre, 60-year-old ambulance - I guess unless you actually busted ghosts for a living. And who'd pay for that? If there were a museum of these cars, I'd get kinda drunk and go to it. Then, the Ecto-1, all the Batmobiles, Herby and the awesome Mercury from the super-crappy, Stalone abortion that was Cobra could be setup in little stages, themed like the movies they're from. I'd like to see the Land Rover from Tomb Raider (much more-convincing actor than Angelina Jolie) and the Pacer from Wayne's World. Plus the Gremlin Limo from Wayne's World two (only reason I went to see that in the theater). I'd like to see all the cars from the Cannonball Run movies and I'd get my picture taken with Kitt (they used to have it at Universal Studios) and the A-Team van (that they also had).

The hearse from Six Feet Under? Hell, even the Suburban from the Sopranos (unremarkable, but I freaken love the Sopranos). And, yeah, the Gran Torino from Starksy and Hutch. And, yeah, dammit, the Mystery Machine - which, though a cartoon, is still special.

There's so many rich guys buying stupid old paintings and crazy stripper wives - won't one of you economy-raping bastards please buy all the old movie cars and start a museum? I will totally make the suggested donation!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive