A Night at the Motel Safari, Tucumcari, NM











The rather famous (thanks to Mike Wallis!) Blue Swallow Motel. Closed for the winter.




Hi folks -- After experiencing my first minoar jam on I-40 due to what appeared to be a junkyard tire fire, I was hoping to stay at the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari last evening. Disaapointed, found it boarded up! Actually it was just closed for the winter. So just down the street and on the other side I found a very attractive 1950s-style motel, the Motel Safari. It had to be a car-friendly place, since a 1964 Galaxie is parked near the office. I must say this place did not disappoint. $39.99 plus tax for a beautifully renovated room with large flat screen, wi-fi, and perhaps the world's most comfortable bed! The room was perhaps the cleanest I have been in -- bar none, including hi-end luxury hotels -- and the woman who checked me in was most friendly. The place is owned by a former engineer who had extensive work experience working for Marriott and the Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG). I wish them the best in terms of future business. Better than any chain motel or hotel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive